script

The daily life of a girl who loves glitter, gothic and glamour!

Thursday 25 October 2012

Beauty and the Beast

Well as I said yesterday, I've started to make an effort to replace my beauty products and make up with cruelty free options.

When researching which brands still use animal testing , I was truly shocked. Dishwasher tablets, toothpaste and even pet foods are all still tested for their safety on animals despite other methods being available.

The other interesting thing was that although products can be advertised as cruelty free, the parent company who owns them still conducts tests. The main examples being Body Shop, now owned by L'oreal, Liz Earle now owned by Avon and even Eco brands like Ecover who are owned by Clorox. The finished product may not have been tested but of course the parent company will receive a profit at some point.

It's actually quite difficult to get products that are totally guilt free for a reasonable cost and availability. Superdrug here doesn't use testing on their own brands and so yesterday I got a couple of basic items to try.

I'm quite fussy about eye makeup removers, I have very sensitive eyes and dry eye problems so I've always been picky. As my beloved L'oreal isn't cruelty free, I bought Superdrug's Simply Pure. It was £1.59, so significantly cheaper than my old one, and I was impressed. It removed my make up with no problems and didn't irritate my eyes. Winner!

Bunnies 1.....L'oreal 0

2 comments:

Miss Anthropia said...

Go Bunnies!!!!!
My last make up remover also was from L`oreal:( But Never ever will I buy anything more from that evil company.

Vintage Hopes and Retro Dreams said...

I've used L'Oreal for years , but im really please with my new one :)