script

The daily life of a girl who loves glitter, gothic and glamour!

Saturday 17 August 2013

Lime Crime Velvetines

So, a review for you tonight! Just before I start I need to say that this review is my honest opinion, I have not been paid or sponsored, and I bought this product with my own money.

Ok so, we have my long awaited Lime Crime velvetine lipgloss! I've been waiting about 4 months for it to be back in stock, I couldn't decide if I wanted it or not but when I saw it was available it ended up on my doormat this morning! 

There are two reliable retailers here that sell Lime Crime , Cocktail Cosmetics and Love Makeup. I've ordered from cocktail before but unfortunately they only had the suedeberry shade in stock, this product comes in two shades, a lighter more orange toned red called suedeberry and a true vampy red called red velvet. 

Love makeup were brilliant, I ordered at 12 yesterday and it arrived today so thumbs up to them!

Ok so first the good points.....

Packaging: oh my , lime crime could pretty much sell me anything with this packaging! From the pretty box to the frosted plastic tube , it looks fab!

Colour: loved it, was a great tone red for me , perhaps more an evening wear or shoot lipstick though

Wear:  yes it's long wearing, in fact I had to use my lip scrub from lush to remove it!

Other: it smells great like vanilla custard! It's also vegan and cruelty free.

And the bad.......

Ok so my biggest problem was with the consistency and application. It has a sponge wand applicator which is unfortunately inadequate for the product. If you do buy it, use a lip brush. You need to be exact with the application because once it's on , it's hard to get off plus it gets EVERYWHERE. This is not a product you want to apply without a mirror handy. It also has quite an oily consistency, and there was a small amount of oil that collected in the cap which leaked out whenever you turned the wand upside down. I wouldn't trust it not to leak out in my bag.

I also found it hard to get a uniform opaque application , this might be better with a brush, but when you press your lips together it removes the layer of product, so therefore you need to apply quite a thick layer which makes it a very full on look.

It's also £11.50 and the stock availability seems very hit and miss. 

So all in all, will I use it? Yes. Would I buy it again? No. I much preferred my Sleek pout paint, which isn't matt, but gives a similar look for about £5. 


Swatch on lips, love the colour and it's very matte


You can see here that it's quite difficult to get a good application, it bleeds around the edges and gets everywhere.


Love the packaging!


The wand, you can see that product goes all the way up


You can see the oil collecting here in the cap, very annoying!

I'm going to wear this on my next shoot, will be interested to see how this turns out under flash. 

Have you tried it yet? Leave me a comment and let me know what you think! Xx

3 comments:

Miss Anthropia said...

Can`t wait to try mine and see how it looks in real life :)

Vintage Hopes and Retro Dreams said...

It looks great but it hacked me off big time as it was so messy! Maybe you'll have better luck!!

Tanya said...

I am loving this lip colour. It looks so perfect!

the-renaissance-of-inner-fashion.blogspot.co.uk