script

The daily life of a girl who loves glitter, gothic and glamour!

Wednesday 2 January 2013

Down the rabbit hole

Today I started my new years culling of clutter and organising, more on that later but first a few treasures I found along the way.

I cannot resist old children's books, I've found quite a few in my time in charity shops and boot sales. It all started when my mum gave me a Girls Crystal Annual from 1957 one Christmas.

Growing up , there wasn't a lot of money to go round, and every Christmas she would do a book bundle for me. It was always a mixture of new and used books she'd found on her travels throughout the year, again mainly from charity shops and rummage sales. One year I got the Girls Crystal Annual and a collection was born! One day I'll photograph them all , when I get the time!

I have two lovely copies of Alice in Wonderland. I love the imagery in this book, especially the Cheshire Cat and the Dodo. I even have a lampshade with Alice on that I picked up cheap in TK Maxx once and couldn't bear to leave behind!

The first book is from 1914, as there is an inscription inside, to an Edna Hale (I wonder who she was and what she was like??) I also found a painted leaf inside, such a bonus to find keepsakes in old books. The second one I'm not sure on the age but it has lovely watercolour pictures inside.

I like to think that I am merely a custodian of these treasures, keeping them safe for the original owners, sounds silly but I wonder why these things were thrown away when they'd been kept for so long?

Tonight I may settle down and read a while xx













1 comment:

Miss Anthropia said...

Such wonderful books. There is something special about childrens books, I love them too :)
I still havent found a Alice in wondeland for myself yet. But i am always on the lookout!