script

The daily life of a girl who loves glitter, gothic and glamour!

Tuesday 29 January 2013

Rollin , rollin , rollin......

I'm pretty excited to be starting Roller Derby this month. I've been thinking about doing it for the last couple of years and never really made the time, but I've decided that this year shall be the year!

There are two teams local to me , the Killa Hurtz and the Seaside Sirens. I've decided to give the Killa Hurtz a try at first as although my skating skills are ok,  I could definitley do with some polishing and they will teach you how to skate better. The practice times are also better , sunday mornings rather than evenings , and they also seem less pressurised about competing etc etc. Although I guess being in a team that bouts all the time would be fun,  the time I could commit to it may be limited at certain times as Aaron's needs and work have to come first.

I've been swotting up on the game itself and it looks like great fun!  I'm a little nervous about the contact part of it , but as long as I have the right safety gear it should be fine, plus the game is quite heavily regulated to prevent injury. It might be a good way to get all the pent up aggression of the week out :)

I got a great book from the library the other day called Flat Track Fashion , it explains how the game is played and also what equipment is needed. The author also talks about the "look" of roller derby from hair and make up to tattoos. This is a great starter book for anyone interested in the fashion of roller derby or who needs some basic information about the game, however for experienced players it probably wouldn't offer anything new. I recommend buying it used from Amazon or seeing if your local library has it in stock :)

So the first practice or freshmeat session as they call it, is in a couple of weeks time. I will blog more about it after my first session and let you all know how it goes!

You can read more about Roller Derby in the U.K here xx




No comments: